Will Rory Mcllroy rebound from a slow start to his 2013 season?
Rory Mcllroy has gotten off to a slow start to the 2013 season. He missed the cut in Abu Dhabi and was eliminated in the first round last weekend at the WGC Match Play Championship. With his change to Nike this past offseason, experts and fans want to know if he is struggling with his new clubs. The defending champion at the event, Mcllroy looks to quiet all his doubters, and a strong performance this week at PGA National will do exactly that.
Can Tiger continue his good play?
Throw out his first run exit at the frozen tundra of Dove Mountain last week and Tiger (Jupiter Island) has had a pretty good start to his 2013 season. He already has a tour victory at Torrey Pines and seems to be getting his game back that made him so dominant for the past decade. After his bogey free round loss last week he came back home to Jupiter Island to prepare for The Honda Classic, which is pretty much a home game for him, by playing a 36-hole match play with fellow neighbor Rory. According to Mcllroy they split the 36-hole friendly game. Woods will look to improve on his runner up finish last year with a win.
How will some of the top locals do?
- Charl Schwartzel (Old Palm) - Prior to his first round elimination at Dove Mountain, Schwartzel hadn’t finished worse than fifth in his previous seven starts, including a pair of victories. He finished in a tie for fifth last year and looks to keep his stroke play streak alive.
- Keegan Bradley (Bear’s Club) - Bradley shot a disappointing 73 on the final day of last year’s tournament, after entering the final round in fourth. He will look to improve on his 12th place finish last year and crack the top 10 for the first time since he tied for fourth at the Hyundai Tournament of Champions in early January.
- Lee Westwood (Palm Beach Gardens) – The newest resident of Palm Beach County, Westwood has posted top 10 finishes in two of his last three appearances at PGA National. Shooting a 63 on Sunday last year, he looks to pick up right where he left off and use some new “home cooking” to capture his first win of the 2013 season.
- Louis Oosthuizen (Old Palm) – Another new addition to the Palm Beach County golf community, Oosthuizen already has a win on tour this season. After a finish to the 2012 season that garnered him the honor of being one of the most consistent performers on tour, the Old Palm resident looks to continue that type of play in The Honda Classic this weekend.
- Ernie Els (Jupiter) – The 2008 champion and Jupiter resident looks to continue his streak of five consecutive cuts made at this event. His best showing this year has been a tie for 13th at the Northern Trust Open.
For all golf information as well as an up to the minute live leaderboard visit www.pgatour.com.