Today, Monday, March 21st is the first official day of Spring. The date marks the spring equinox in the Northern Hemisphere.
This year, the March equinox happens today at 5:24 pm eastern standard time and the official Spring season kicks off. The Spring season lasts until June 21st, 2023.
In the Northern Hemisphere or also called the March Equinox, occurs when the sun crosses the celestial equator going south to north. The celestial equator is an imaginary line in the sky above the Earth’s equator. In the Southern Hemisphere, today marks their first day of the Fall season.
Here are some facts about Spring.
- The earliest Spring Flowers to bloom are tulips, daffodils, sunflowers, primrose, and lilies.
- The first day of Spring doesn’t always fall on the same day.
- The first day of Spring is also called the vernal equinox.
- Spring means the days get longer leading to more hours of daylight.
- Spring has special meanings like fresh starts, rebirth, and growth.
- Each Spring, leatherback sea turtles return to some beaches where they lay eggs.
- Baby birds learn how to sing in the Spring.
- Spring was formally referred to as Lent. The name was changed to Springtime in 1300 and then was eventually shortened to Spring.
- Holidays celebrated in Spring include: Passover, Easter, Good Friday, Earth Day, Arbor Day, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Cinco de Mayo, Holi, April Fool’s Day.
Big Events Happening in Palm Beach County This Spring.
- Baseball Spring Training: Feb. 25th to March 26th
- Winter Equestrian Festival: Jan 4th to April 2nd
- Palm Beach International Boat Show: March 23rd to March 26th
- Evening on Antique Row: April 1st
- Barrett-Jackson Auto Auction: April 13th to April 15th
- Delray Affair: April 14th to April 16th
- Black Gold Jubilee: April 15th
- Sunfest Music Festival: May 5th to May 7th